Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Best birthday present of all :)



Last night while I was checking my sons school bag, after the kids were in bed, I found a little envelope addressed to ‘Parent’. Oh…it must be the results of the NAPLAN test (a national numeracy and literacy assessment taken by years 3, 5, 7 and 9). I was expecting Kade to rank as average across the board, I knew that he had run out of time for the language and spelling tests and had hurriedly chosen answers at random towards the end, and I know that his spelling is atrocious :)

I was shocked to see that Kade was placed at the very top of the Reading test (the black dot is Kade's result, the black triangle is the National Average and the empty triangle is the school average).
The reading component comprised of reading several articles and answering questions based on what they had read.

I was astounded to say the least, this is a wonderful achievement as we have spent considerable time over the last couple of years to improve his reading. This year, to my amazement, he started reading books without any encouragement, and seem to be really enjoying them.

Tonight little miss had a speaking part in the Kindergarten to Year 2 school play. Her class performed 'The Christmas Spiders’ and she had 3 paragraphs that she had to recite. She did awesome. She was also dressed as a cat, so she was very excited. Here is a photo I took earlier for the dress rehearsal, she did have a pink nose and whiskers drawn on tonight though.



I am so proud that I have been telling my work colleagues all day…well they are men so I shouldn’t be surprised that they were far less excited than I…he he

Mr T and I could not be any more prouder of our kids if we tried :)

P.S. Thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes; it made it a lot easier to come to terms with the fact that I am nearly 40!

5 comments:

vintage mum said...

You must have done a good job at finding the right books to inspire, that's what it's all about
loving books.
Cate x

does your cat like pilchards ?

Gracie's Cottage said...

Hooray for the kidlets Tamara; isn't is good to know that your hard work with them pays off? And, even though I am not a 'cat person', your sweet little kitty could make me change my mind! :)

A Treasured Past said...

Hi guys, no my kitty is very fussy indeed..no pilchards for her I'm afraid.

DEBBIE said...

OH... SHE`S A CUTIE!
WELL DONE FOR THE EXCELLENT SCHOOL REPORT!
I KNOW THE FEELING... MY GIRLS DONE VERY WELL THIS YEAR, ALTHOUGH MY LITTLE BOY NEEDS TO MAKE MORE EFFORT!
I WONDER IF ITS A BOY THING?

DEBBIE MOSS

A Treasured Past said...

@Debbie
Thanks Debbie, I think you are right, it must be a boy thing, my boy has the concentration of a gnat! :)