Friday, September 24, 2010

Junking Makeover: Victorian Mug and Broken Figurine




I bought a fabulous box of old bits and pieces from ebay a while back. Oh, it was like a treasure trove, all the pieces had been dug up from an old rubbish dump in rural Victoria. Most of the pieces were broken or chipped, but they had so much character. It was like Christmas when the box arrived!

This little lady was amongst them. Her poor body broken and her hat chipped beyond repair. Included was this gorgeous Victorian moustache mug, missing the handle and guard of course. They were a match made in heaven, their colours mimicking each other with glorious greens and rich pink tones.

I rummaged through my button stash to find these pearly beauties.



I cut a piece of styrofoam to fit snuggly in the mug and cut a couple of holes so the little lady could stand. I covered the styrofoam with the buttons and a sprinkling of pinky pearls.




I glued a few buttons on to her bonnet to cover the missing piece and to tie into the buttons below her waist.



She now sits proudly once again.



We are venturing early tomorrow to the annual Queanbeyan Swap Meet, I will try and take a few photos, and hopefully bring back a few treasures too. The weather is forecast to be nice tomorrow, a sunny 18 deg C, so it should be way better than last year :)

p.s. Natasha @Artistic Creations is having a Revamp it Party, I have added my link. Pop on over and check out all the wonderful makeover ideas.

Bye for now, Tamara

16 comments:

petals and vintage said...

You have done a great job with that young lady my very astute blogging friend! Have a fabulous weekend.
Pam xx

A Treasured Past said...

@baysideroseAha, was I right? Have a great one too! Tamara x

Nearly there Claire said...

Oh how lovely! Poor little lady being broken, I bet she feels much better now though.
I know of a little poem that fits this post, well slightly...I hope I have room but here goes...

A little china figure on a little bracket sat,
His little feet were always crossed, he wore a china hat.
And every morning fair or foul, in shine or shadow dim,
A pretty little housemaid came and softly dusted him.

She picked him up so gently, and with such a charming air,
His china heart was melted quite, he loved her to despair.
All day he sat and thought of her until the twilight came,
And in his china heart at night, he softly breathed her name.

One day while being dusted, in his joy he trembled so
To feel her dainty fingers, that alas - she let him go.
In vain she tried to grab him back, but fate willed that they should part,
He fell against a fender edge and broke his china heart

She gathered up the fragments and she told a little lie,
Explaining to her mistress how the cat had made him die.
And on the following morning, when the shutters back were thrust,
She spoke his little epitaph - "That's one less thing to dust!"

xxx

Gracie's Cottage said...

How sweet that turned out...nicely done Tamara!

Queanbeyan - now that's a great-looking word! Is it pronounced Queen-Bean? :)

Jan

A Treasured Past said...

@Gracie's CottageHi Jan, nearly we pronounce it Quean-B-Yan...I am sure though some of the locals probably pronounce it that way though.

Fete et Fleur said...

What a sweet way to display this cutie. You can never go wrong with beautiful china and buttons.

Nancy

A Treasured Past said...

@Fete et FleurHi Nancy, thanks for popping by and foe the sweet comment :) Tamara

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Such a sweet and delightful project. I just love what you did with that pretty girl.

Natasha Burns said...

That's gorgeous Tamara!!! Just wondeful! Your cup and maiden both have so much character, and I love how you married them up and added the buttons :)
Thanks so much for joining in Revamp It 2010!

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

how creative...i so enjoyed this makeover...where are my buttons???

A Treasured Past said...

Hi guys, thanks for the sweet comments and popping over form the talented Natasha's Revamp It party, its been fun :) Tamara

Michelle L. said...

Hi, Tamara, just noticed you visited me, so I had to come over and check you out. This is the coolest project - such a great save of two broken items. I LOVE the buttons on the chipped hat - genius!

Glenys said...

That was awesome. I like her new buttony hat.

Unknown said...

She is so cute and I love how your clever idea gave her a new life. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words.

Marina Capano said...

Hi! She is so cute!

xoxo

A Treasured Past said...

Thank you all so much for you sweet comments:) Tamara