Monday, September 27, 2010

Queanbeyan Swap Meet '10 Part 3: Antique Dictaphone

Dictation anyone? I found this awesome Dictaphone at a price too good to pass up. It is c1900. Dictaphone was an American company, a producer of dictation machines—sound recording devices most commonly used to record speech for later playback or to be typed into print. The name "Dictaphone" is a trademark.

This Dictaphone was distributed by the Dictaphone Co (Aus) Ltd, 19 Hunter Street, Sydney, and is plated as such. I found an original advertisement below.

It came with wax 5 cylinders, although only 1 is complete. I have cleaned it since taking these photos, now I just have to find somewhere to put it :)






See you tomorrow with part 4 :)

7 comments:

Annie said...

What an amazing contraption ! The pipe reminds me of a hoover pipe, incredible to think it has survived all these years.
Ann x

A Treasured Past said...

Hi Ann, Its amazing isn't it, it should probably be in a museum one day, although my house already resembles one :) Maybe I should charge an admission fee...he he

vintage mum said...

Your finds never fail to amaze me :0
I didn't expect it to be so big I'm sure you will find a use for it somewhere

cate x

Lucy - By the Hill said...

HA! That is one big machine! Neat! In such great condition too!! Great find!

Unknown said...

That's amazing. But as someone who transcribes audio files, I'm glad things have gotten a lot smaller since then!

A Treasured Past said...

Thanks guys for stopping by, and your sweet comments :) Tamara

DEBBIE said...

Just like you said... it looks as if it should belong to a museum.
I would pay to see it! As I never seen nothing as amazing!
You sure find the most fab. & unusual treasures!

DEBBIE MOSS