Thursday, February 3, 2011

Collections: Antique Jelly/Pudding Moulds

China moulds were popular during the 1800's and early 1900's to make decorative pudding and jellies. The glass ones are newer versions.



This one is made with dark pottery with a chocolate glaze, it is very old.

This is stamped 'Made in England' so it dates it to the early 1900's.

This ironstone mould is quite an early one, the glaze has a slight blue tint to it, so I would guess mid 1800's. The two following moulds are unmarked, more likely date to the early 1900's.

Above is the little one I bought at Y's Buys.




I have used the glass ones to make jelly for the kids, but because they we only packet ones, not made with the original gelatin recipe, they were not solid enough to turn out onto a plate. They still tastes good though.

5 comments:

Nelly said...

You know I dont think I have ever seen any of these while opshopping maybe I will now.

A Treasured Past said...

@NellyHi Nelly, They are very hard to find, most I have purchased at auctions. Tamara

Lyndel said...

oh lovely!!.. I had success once trying one by using 2x packets of packet jelly but only 3/4 of the liquid.

A Treasured Past said...

@LyndelHi Lyndel, that's a great idea, I will try it next time, we have a thousand packets of jelly in the cupboard.

*Maristella* said...

Adorabilissimi questi antichi stampi per il budino!! Qui da noi non si trovano piĆ¹!! Un caro saluto, *Maristella*.